Friday, November 28, 2008

I-65, Borman interchange open to traffic

Motorists had an extra reason to be thankful on Thanksgiving Day, with the early reopening of a 1.5-mile stretch of Interstate 65 and two newly built bridges passing over Interstate 80/94.

Indiana State Police and the Indiana Department of Transportation reported the ramp closures, traffic restrictions and detours were removed at 10:45 p.m. Tuesday. Access between I-65 and the Indiana Toll Road also is now fully open.

Officials with the Indiana Department of Transportation said earlier in the month that the changes were expected to take place in early to mid-December.

The closures began in March to reconstruct the I-65 bridges over the Borman Expressway and the ramps at the interchange. New features include a flyover ramp from westbound I-80/94 to southbound I-65, new entrance and exit ramp configurations at Ridge Road and wider entrances at the ramps with higher traffic volumes, including the eastbound Borman to southbound I-65 and northbound I-65 to the westbound Borman.

INDOT reported the improvements should result in less merging of traffic and improved traffic flow. Minor lane restrictions on I-65, the Borman and the interchange ramps will occur during shoulder work, INDOT officials said, but the interchange will remain open.

From The Times. . . .

No comments: