Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11

Today is Patriot Day, a day to remember those who lost their lives in the tragedy on September 11, 2001. When I was little, my mom used to comment about how she can still remember exactly where she was and what was happening when Kennedy was shot. I used to figure that was simply because she was a woman (no offense intended). It's true though, when an event is associated with a strong emotion, that event is burned into our memory and we can recall it. Most things in womens' life are bonded with strong emotions, and thus they tend to remember EVERYTHING. The same thing happens with us men, we just typically don't care about much, so we don't remember much. See The Tale of Two Brains for a funny lesson on how men and women remember things.

But I no longer chalk it up to gender. I can remember EXACTLY what I was doing and where I was when the trade center was hit by the first plane. I was in my junior year of high school, and I was in the media lab watching it on television while printing out updates for teachers in the school. That was also when I first decided to join the military. It took me two years to finally join the Army, but I did (and am still serving). It's something few of us will ever forget. If you'd like to attend a memorial event about it today, the Times reports several options. Here are a few notable ones:

Hammond: Resident Herb Lewis will host a memorial service at 6 p.m. at his home, 3015 173rd St. The Hammond Fire Department will attend.

Munster: The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Munster Post 2697, will conduct a Freedom Walk and sunset ceremony about 6:50 p.m. at the Edward Robinson Community Veterans Memorial, near the intersection of Calumet Avenue and Superior Street.

South Haven: American Legion Post 502 will host a service at 7 p.m. at the post, 429 W. County Road 750 North. The South Have Fire Department, Porter County Sheriff David Lain, Portage Township Trustee Joyce Webster, Porter County Pilots Association and the South Haven Legion Honor Guard will be in attendance.

Several cities, including Crown Point, Valparaiso, Schererville, etc. hosted memorials this morning or early afternoon. I didn't post those because I am writing this post around 2pm. The memorials posted are still relevant for this evening. God bless America!

No comments: