Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ford Sales Falling

I went shopping for a car yesterday. I saw in the paper that Webb Ford was advertising a Ford Focus for $8995. I've known for awhile that Webb Ford is crooked, but this just confirms it. IF you qualify for a list of almost impossible to receive rebates (including being a Ford employee), you MIGHT qualify for such a low price. But of course the general public doesn't qualify for most of those rebates and the Focus would end up costing us a little over $15,000. That's really not a bad price for getting 35+ miles per gallon, but of course car dealers have to lie.

But not Art Hill Ford in Merrillville, Indiana. They never advertised such lucrative prices and were very honest and transparent with me, particularly since yesterday was the end of the month. I assure you I get no kickbacks for saying positive things about Art Hill Ford, I just wanted to commend them for their honesty and integrity amidst such a poor market, particularly Carl, who was the salesman I dealt with. Yesterday I decided that the price was not ideal for me at this time, but when I do buy a Ford, I'll be sure to look him up.

I know that Ford is really taking a hit right now. They are offering the employee pricing program to the general public for all of their F-150 series pickup trucks. But at maybe 17 miles per gallon, consumers just can't afford to buy them. Today's Associated Press reports:
High gasoline prices and a weak economy took a toll on U.S. sales of ... Ford Motor Co. vehicles in June, with ... Ford dropping 27.9 percent.

Industry analysts had predicted June auto sales could drop by double-digits to their lowest monthly rate in 16 years.... Ford shares sank to a new 52-week low....

Dearborn-based Ford blamed the latest sales decline on high gas prices and low consumer confidence, which sent buyers to the sidelines. It reported steep drops in June sales of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, including a 41 percent year-over-year decline for the F-Series pickup, a perennial best-seller, and a 52 percent drop for the Ford Explorer SUV....

Ford said sales of its smallest car, the Ford Focus, rose 28 percent in the first six months of the year, although Focus sales fell in June. The automaker said last month it plans to increase production of the Focus as well as the Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape small SUVs.


As soon as I pay off a few more debts, I plan on purchasing a Ford Focus. I hope to do that by the end of this year, we'll see. It's unfortunate that Webb Ford and other slick dealers resort to deceptive advertising to draw in customers, but there are still honest people like Carl at Art Hill Ford that will attract my future business, and maybe even yours.

No comments: