Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Real "Turf War"

As I drove into work this morning, I noticed that the county work release inmates hadn't cut some of the grass in front of the Community Corrections program, but I didn't give it much thought. I figured that they had only cut so much yesterday, and would finish the rest today.

That is until I read this morning's NWI Times article entitled Fight for space at county building taken out on the lawn. The article states:

Sheriff Rogelio "Roy" Dominguez's work-release workers have stopped cutting the lawn in front of the Lake County Community Corrections program....

...County commissioners recently reduced the available space for the sheriff's program, giving more room to the community corrections program instead.

One county commissioner deemed as petty retribution the lack of lawn mowing.

"I'm upset with the sheriff over this," said Lake County Commissioner Gerry Scheub, D-Schererville.

The sheriff responded, "We are not obligated to cut the grass. That is the commissioners' responsibility...."

...The sheriff said he didn't give anyone orders to stop cutting grass as a protest of the commissioners' move.

"I think my staff heard commissioners and Kellie Bittorf say they don't value their community service," Dominguez said.

Bittorf said a lower-ranking employee of the sheriff's program said he was ordered to stop cutting grass for community corrections.


Is this a bunch of B.S. or what? How petty is this? Way to go Dominguez! Only in Lake County...

UPDATE: As of 1pm today, the grass was all mowed evenly. I checked when I went to lunch.

No comments: