Friday, May 23, 2008

Region man owns skull guiding Indiana Jones film

From the NWI Times:

"CHESTERTON | In 1968, while stationed in Panama with the U.S. Air Force, Bill Homann stumbled onto a magazine article about British adventurer F.A. Mitchell-Hedges and a mysterious crystal skull found among the Mayan ruins of Central America.

Forty years later, Homann, a Crown Point business owner and Chesterton resident, places that same crystal skull on a Lazy Susan covered in black velvet on the coffee table of his rural home....

...As the fourth installment of the "Indiana Jones" film franchise, which bases its story on crystal skull mythology, begins to hit theaters today and Friday, Homann, a modern-day adventurer with an eighth-degree black belt in karate, has seen increasing interest in the Mitchell-Hedges piece.

Homann was featured Sunday in the two-hour documentary, "Mystery of the Crystal Skulls," on the SciFi Channel.

"It’s never dull around the crystal skull," Homann says.

The LaPorte native -- who owns Homann Karate Do with his son, Brett, in Crown Point -- became caretaker of the world’s most famous crystal skull after Anna Mitchell-Hedges, the adopted daughter of F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, died last year.

Homann met Anna Mitchell-Hedges in 1981 through a Chicago friend. The two became so close that Homann cared for her at his home during the final years of her life. She entrusted the skull to him shortly before her April 11, 2007, death, which also was Homann’s birthday.

"She was my teacher," he said. "My best friend."

Carved out of a single piece of clear quartz, the life-sized skull features smoothly contoured cheekbones and a detachable jaw that sets perfectly into the cranium. It is so scientifically accurate that a face of a young Mesoamerican woman can be reconstructed from it. But how it was made and by whom remains a mystery."

I (Dan, the prayeramedic) have actually seen this skull and I remember meeting Anna Mitchell-Hedges several years ago when I was a student at Homann Karate Do. I formerly trained in Karate with Bret and occasionally with his father, Bill. It's pretty neat that the basis of the final Indiana Jones movie is a crystal skull that happens to reside in Northwest Indiana!

3 comments:

Daltonsbriefs said...

Hey Dan I just set up two rooms on FriendFeed which I'd like you to join:

John McCain 2008 Room

Northwest Indiana Room

By the way great post, sorry to delay that part. I'm just excited about the new FriendFeed features

prayeramedic said...

I totally understand -- I get excited like that too!

prayeramedic said...

OK I joined the Northwest Indiana room. I don't think I should join the McCain room -- I have nothing positive to say about him. Actually I do -- I'm glad that Mitch McConnell, John McCain and John Cornyn LOST in their efforts to shut down the modernization of the GI Bill. It's obvious McCain doesn't care about troops, because McCain opposes it because he claims that if young men and women who complete their military service have a viable option– like a college education– they won’t re-enlist… to fight in the endless wars he has planned.

Yesterday’s Time Magazine has a powerful article on why more and more military vets want to see McCain lose the election. And I'm one of them. So if you still want me to join that room, I will. But you'll probably not hear anything positive from me -- and I am vocal in my disdain for McCain.