Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Horses Cheaper Than Cars... And Maybe Even Safer

Kevin Tracy posted an article earlier entitled Could My Next Car Be A Horse? The article says,

"...I sat down at the computer and did a quick search on the cost of owning a horse. Roughly $4,000 a year - which is almost $2,000 a year LESS than I put on the annual total of my monthly car payments. But that $4,000 accounts for everything the horse needs... the Chevy Impala is costing me about $7,800 a year to operate. A horse would be just $4,000... Call me crazy, call me old fashioned, or just call me cheap... but outrageous gas prices have forced me to give this seemingly ludicrous idea consideration. If there are any horse owners out there, please feel free to share your knowledge."

Well Kevin, I'd like to call your attention to this NWI Times article:

"FREETOWN, Ind. - Authorities say two riders were injured when a pickup truck hit their horses from behind on Indiana 135 in Jackson County.

Jackson County Sheriff's Deputy Dustin Steward says the driver fell asleep while driving northbound on Indiana 135 about 1 p.m. Monday and struck the horses.

One rider's horse fell on him while the other was knocked off his horse, The Republic of Columbus reported. Both were treated at a hospital and released.

The horses reportedly did not suffer any major injuries."

Not only did the riders live through it, but the horses were unharmed. Maybe horseback isn't such a bad idea after all.... ;)

4 comments:

Chris said...

The Amish in Elkhart and LaGrange counties ride horse all the time. There are even hitching posts at the county courthouse in LaGrange and at shopping centers in Goshen.

Daltonsbriefs said...

I think I'd prefer a bike over a horse. Costs less to maintain and would probably do me better to get in some shape too.

Kevin Tracy said...

Haha, that would have cost at least $500 to fix and my insurance rates would have skyrocketed.

prayeramedic said...

The bike idea looks good to me about now, too....